I thought it would be fun just to do some research and list some interesting facts that you can find on this breed. I have enjoyed reading chihuahua fun facts. There is so much to learn about these little dogs. This is just a few things I found interesting.
- There is two types of chihuahuas: Long haired and short (smooth) coat. I prefer the smooth coat. Only because I think they are cuter.
- Their heads have two different shapes: apple head- which has a round head and deer head- which has a longer head similar to a deer. Both types can be part of the same litter.
- Chihuahuas can have ears that stand up or flop over. AKC only recognizes standing up ears. It seems most of them have ears that stand up, but I have seen both come from the same liter.
- Chihuahua noses can come in different colors: black, brown, gray, pink, or two-tone. The color of their coat helps determine the color of their nose. These dogs come is a lot of different colors and combination of colors. There is a color for everyone.
- The rarest color of chihuahua is completely white. Would it not be awsome to have a pure white chihuauhau. I think so, but I assume they would cost a bit more money to buy.
- They are usually six to nine inches tall and weigh up to six pounds. This is the average. Some of mine are quite a bit bigger than this.
- The puppies are born with a soft spot just like our babies. This usually closes up after a year, but some have it their entire life.
More Interesting Facts
- They are the smallest breed of dog in the world.
- Chihuahuas are not only in the toy breed group but they also are in the lap dog companion group. They make very good snugglers.
- Despite, their size they make excellent watch dogs. They may not be big, but they can be loud and are known for being alert.
- When you compare the body size in relation to the size of the brain; they have the largest brain. ‘which would make me assume they are smart animals.
- The Largest litter of puppies born is ten. The average size litter is four.
- A chihuahua holds the Guinness Book of World Records as the smallest dog; due to her height. She was 3.8 inches tall and only weighed a pound.
- These dogs are one of the most popular breeds in the US and Canada.
- Some live up to 20 years. The oldest chihuhau lived to be over 21 years old.
- A chihuahua was never won the best in show at the Westminister Kennel Club Show. A guess just being cute will not win best in show.
- Due to their small necks a collar can damage the trachea. A harness is a better choice for walking with a leash. Of course, you can always have a cute collar for your dog to wear just because it looks cute.
- Most of these dogs do well with children, if introduced properly at a young age.
Chihuahuas in History
- Urban legend claims that these dogs can take away asthma.
- The ancient Aztecs thought that they could take away their sins.
- In ancient times they were used as hot packs. I can understand this one. If you have ever slept with a chihuahua under the covers; they can through off some serious body heat.
Celebrities and Chihuahuas
After the Taco Bell dog commercial chihuahuas became popular with celebrities. There has also been several movies made about chihuahuas: Legally Blonde 1 & 2; there has also been musicals made from this movie, Beverly Hills Chihuhuas, and Chihuahua, The Movie. This is jus some of the celebrities that have chihuahuas are:
- Marilyn Monroe
- Reese Witherspoon
- George Lopez
- Rosie O’Donnell
- Jennifer Lopez
- Paula Abdul
- Hillary Duff
- Paris Hilton
- Miranda Lambert
I bet the these chihuahuas that have celeberty owners are pampered and have many different outfits and acessories to dress up in.
Just for Fun
I love learning about this breed. There is so much information to find these day. I just wanted to mention some of the facts I thought were most interesting. Such as their size; and nose color and how some of these dogs have become famous. I hope you these facts as interesting as I did.
Feel free to leave any questions or comments below.