There is a lot of different dog treats to choose from these days. You need to be careful what kind of treat you buy for your dog. There are treats that have artificial flavoring, dyes and harmful preservatives. You want to feed your dog healthy natural dog treats. You can also get recipes to make them yourself.
What To Stay Away From
- Sugar: It may appear under different names, such as sucrose, caramel, or corn syrup. Giving your dog sugar regularly can cause health problems such as: hypoglycemia,,cataracts, arthritis, obesity, nervousness, tooth decay, and allergies.
- Salt: Other names for salt are: sodium chloride, iodized salt, or sea salt. Excess salt can cause health issues, such as increase in water intake, increase heart rate, dry mucous membranes and restlessness.
- Soy: This ingredient is added because it is a cheap substitute for meat protein. It is a common allergen for dogs.
- Corn: Corn is another cheap meat replacement. It can cause muscle loss.
- Grain: Dogs are meat eaters; grain should not be a part of their diet. It can cause digestion problems and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Dairy: This is another ingredient that your dog could be allergic to.
- Gluten: Gluten is a binder. It just helps hold the food together. It has only a little nutritional value.
- Dyes: Dyes can cause your dog to have an allergic reaction.
Some Suggestion On Treat You Can Buy
- Terrabone Dental treats – they are all natural. Made with organic ingredients. High in fiber with no wheat, no corn, no soy, no gluten, no artificial ingredients and no animal by-products.
- Cloud Star Treats – These come in a variety of flavors. The flavors to choose from are liver, salmon, and cheddar. They do not have any wheat, corn or soy in them. You can buy them one bag at a time or in a bundle. I would be careful with the cheddar; just to make sure your dog is not allergic.
- Castor & Pollux Organix Chicken Flavored Dog Cookies. These are made from free-range chicken. All the ingredients are organic. They do not have any chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, artificial preservatives, added growth hormones or antibiotics
Homemade Dog Treats
There is a lot of good brands of dog treats. Some of you may want to take it a step further and make your dogs treats yourself. There are recipes online or your can get a recipe book to try different recipes to see which ones you would like to make or which ones your dog may like the best.
There are several books on Amazon to choose from some of these are reasonably priced. If you have a kindle you can download them or you can buy the book. You can also get molds or cookie cutters to shape your treats.
The Homemade Dog Biscuits Cookbook: Learn How to Make Your Own Homemade Dog Treats is one of the book that you can get for free on Kindle Unlimited. It also comes in paperback if you prefer to buy the book instead of having an electronic version.
Easy Homemade Dog Treat Recipes is also in paperback or on Kndle Unlimited.
Read The Ingredients
My suggestion is to be sure you read the ingredients before buying anything. Just not dog treats, but dog food or any other item your dog may eat. The same rule applies to dogs as to us. If you cannot read it or if you do not know what it is; then it most likely is not good for your pet.
Our pets need all natural ingredients for a healthy diet. Remember, dogs are meat eaters, they do not need all the extra filler ingredients that are found in a lot of dog foods and dog treats.
Choose The Best
Just like us our dogs deserve to have the best nutrition we can provide. If, the healthy treats are too expensive. I would suggest trying one of the recipe books and see if some of them are more cost effective. Try to stay away from the things I listed that are not good for your pet. There is a lot treats that have all the extra preservatives.
Give your dog a healthy treat to enjoy.
Please feel free to leave any comment, question or other suggestions below.