One of my own chihuahuas inspired me to write this post. There are things lying around your house that could be harmful or deadly to your dog. If, you have a dog that will eat just about anything; then this is something you need to read.
I am going to start with adhesive tape, because that is where the trouble started at my house.
The adhesive athletic tape can be very harmful to your dog. Someone at my house was using this on a finger after surgery. It had fallen off during the night and got lost. One of my precious chihuahuas found it. I am still not sure how he managed to swallow it, but he swallowed it whole.
A day later he started vomiting and stopped eating. At first, he was treated by the vet for the vomiting. After, a couple more days we went back to have more test done. The x-ray showed a blockage; at the time no one knew what the blockage was.
The only solution was surgery. After the vet finished; we found out how bad it really was. The wrap had started eating holes in his intestines. He had to remove about half of the large intestines. If, we had not had the surgery done when we did I would had lost one of my babies.
He is doing good now. It took about a month before he could eat solid food again. I just have to make sure that he does not find anything else to eat.
When our dogs are in pain it is natural to want to help them. The pain medications we take are not always safe choice for our dogs. You need to talk to vet before giving any OTC medication.
- Tylenol: Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in this pain reliever. Acetaminophen (also used in Excedrin and other aspirin-free drugs) this can be used in dogs, but you must be careful with the dosage. Ask a vet before giving Tylenol to your dog. Acetaminophen overdose in dogs can cause severe liver damage. As, little as two regular-strength pills can cause overdose in your dogs.
- Aspirin: Dogs can use this drug, and sometimes a vet will recommend it for pain. Continuous use of aspirin can cause bad side effects. These side effects: Gastric ulcers (if prolonged use), Loss of appetite, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Seizures, Coma, Loss of blood clotting capabilities.
- Ibuprofen: This is the active ingredient in over-the-counter medications such as Advil, Motrin, and “cold and flu” medications, and is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID). This drug is never recommended for dogs. It can cause severe gastric ulcers or acute kidney failure. If accidentally ingested you should seek medical help immediately.
- Naproxen: This is the active ingredient in Aleve or Anaprox, and is a very strong NSAID. The smallest doses can result in severe symptoms of gastric ulcers, stomach perforations, or acute kidney failure in dogs. You should never give this to your dog.
Chocolate can cause your dog to get very sick or cause death. The darker chocolate seems to be more harmful. This is one of the most common causes of dog poisoning. Even a chocolate chip cookie can cause big problems for a little dog.
If, you think your dog might have eaten chocolate call your vet right away. The vet will ask you about the size of your dog, what kind of chocolate did he/she eat, and how much was eaten. The vet may want you to make your dog vomit. Some dogs have to be hospitalized and observed.
Cigarettes, cigars, and chewing tobacco are dangerous to your dog. Cigarette butts can be deadly to your dog if he eats enough of them. The filter that holds all the nicotine, cigarette butts hold just as much nicotine as the whole cigarette.
The good flavors and the high content of the drug in e-cigarette liquid have caused a rise in reported poisonings. Please, do not leave these products unattended and within the dog’s reach. This type of nicotine is readily absorbed through the skin and gastrointestinal system, making it highly toxic for your dog. It only takes about four milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight to be fatal. This means that less than a teaspoon of liquid nicotine or one cigarette can be fatal in small dogs.
If, you think your dog has eaten a form of nicotine seek medical help immediately.
Keep Your Dog Safe
Dogs like to explore and get into things that they should not. I have listed some things that your pet could find that could cause them harm. Remember to keep things like bandages, all medications and nicotine products out of reach of your pet. And chocolate should never be fed to your dog as a treat. Unfortunately, a dog will eat something harmful again if he/she can get to it. They do not realize the harm that they are doing to themselves.
Please feel free to leave any comments or questions below.